Friday, January 11, 2013

I have a confession...

Being in Germany scares the crap out of me. I thought I was ready for this change but in all actuality, I am not. We've been here for three days and I haven't even left our hotel. At first I chalked it up to jet lag and Liam having a cold but now, I just have to face the reality that this life change scares me.

When Will and I got married, I knew moving would be in our future and that was fine and dandy because we were in Kansas. I was around my family and friends and didn't have to associate with other wives because I had a support system. Now, things are completely different. Not only am I in a new environment but I am without a support system other than Will and Liam (and Artemus). I actually have to put myself out there and make friends, something that has never come easy for me.

I know I can't stay inside forever (Liam won't let me) but I know that once I start exploring, it will hit me that I am no longer in Kansas. I am far away from home, far away from the people I know, love and trust. Once that sets in, I don't know what I will do. Will I go out and try to meet friends? If not, I doubt that I will make it here for three years.

(p.s. I'm pretty sure this was the most depressing post about Germany ever. I promise that they won't all be this way)

2 comments:

  1. Making friends is really hard. I lived in Germany for a year and a half a long time ago--as an au-pair. I really had "Culture shock" because I thought Germany would be more or less like the US--it's not, it's quite different. Just enjoy your time there--you WILL make friends--and have lots of good, delicious German pastries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley. I just need to get out and I'm sure things will work out.

      Delete