Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Parenting Style?

I've always wondered what type of parent I would be. Although my parents divorced when I was fairly young, their parenting styles have far outlasted their marriage. My dad was definitely a disciplinarian. He ruled with an iron fist even if that meant not showing emotions. My mom, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. She laid no rules and there were no consequences for our actions. Whenever I thought of becoming a parent, I hoped that I would be a mixture of the two since I know the outcome of their two different styles. I wanted to be a parent who set rules but could be someone my children could always depend on emotionally.

Considering that Liam is only two months old, I definitely have not figured out my parenting style yet. As of right now, I am a co-sleeping (or bed-sharing, whichever you prefer), baby-wearing, nursing on demand mother. This parenting style ("attachment parenting" as it's called in What to Expect the First Year) was not something I planned. It just sort of felt right for the situation Liam and I found ourselves in. It works for us and if it no longer works, I'm sure we'll figure something else out.

Parenting, thus far, has seemed like a lot of trial and error. Whenever you tell someone you have a child (or are pregnant), they give you tons of advice on everything from diapers to immunizations but when it comes down to it, it's based on personal experience. Liam and I have plenty of time to figure out what parenting styles works for us. I just hope that in the end, I can look back and know that I was the best parent for him regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment