Friday, May 4, 2012

A Little About My Job!

For anyone who reads my blog (which is probably just my little sister, Hi Jahnaia!), I mentioned that I have found a job. I am working as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor through our local health department. This position is not unheard of but it is usually through WIC so this is a new area for everyone. I will be able to work with anyone who uses the health department for services (this is includes WIC but doesn't exclude those who do not qualify for WIC). Since starting the job, I have met lots of amazing women and realized that the position I am in is actually really important and there are a lot of people who are not only excited about it but also expecting me to do a great job. No pressure or anything but it is motivating me to work hard and try to make the most of the position.
Although I work through the health department, I am technically not a health department employee. I don't have an office, I don't come in to work everyday, I actually work mostly from home. When nursing moms need assistance, I receive a referral from the health department informing me of the issue(s) that the mom is experiencing. I then contact the mom and see if I can assist her by stopping by and giving her nursing advice. Well, I have received four referrals this week. I really wasn't expecting to even have any referrals so this was an awesome surprise. So far, I've only met with two moms (who were really nice) and although I don't have all the answers, I hope that I helped them out as much as I can.
After my two counselings, I realized that I would love to do this as a career. As of right now, I am completely satisfied being a BFPC but I eventually want to become a LPN and continue the path to becoming a board certified lactation consultant. Those are future plans though. Right now, I want to be a great resource for nursing moms in my county. I want moms to know that if I don't have the answer, I will do my hardest to figure it out for them. That being said, I need to get started on some online training while Liam is sleeping. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment