Monday, April 28, 2014

Dear Facebook, It's not me, it's you... (A Breakup Letter)

Well, not you personally (although you have made quite a few changes that affect my privacy, but I digress) but more the environment you have created. When I first joined way back in 2004, only college students (or people with a .edu email address) were allowed to join. I loved having the opportunity to connect with other students. When you opened membership up to everyone, I wasn't too happy then I realized that I could connect with even more people. You brought people together, allowing me to feel involved in the lives of people who may have faded from my memory otherwise. 

Then things changed. 

I'm not sure if it's because we've been in a pretty steady relationship for the past 10 years (man, I'm old) but the thrill is gone. That thrill has been replaced with disgusting videos/pictures, judgemental posts, hateful comments and just a lack of the main thing that drew us together in the first place: connection. I honestly feel less connected than ever before.

With that said, I think our relationship is coming to an end. Not a complete, "I'm deactivating my account", end but more like an, "I won't be logging in as often end". Don't worry, I'll still come to visit (at least until I get out of the habit of logging in). With your millions of users, I'm sure I won't even be missed. 

So long for now Facebook! If you miss me, I'll be connecting in real life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment