Thursday, March 22, 2012

Setting Goals

If you read my posts about depression, you may have read that I went to see a counselor. I have never been in counseling/therapy before and have only had one session so far so I can't really say too much about it. I did enjoy speaking with my counselor and it didn't even seem like we were talking for an entire hour (which is weird for me since I tend to be reserved around people I don't know). During our session, we set four goals for me to accomplish before our next session:

1) Find a hobby that doesn't involve Will or Liam
I definitely want to get into running and would love to find a running group that would be willing to run in the evening. I just really suck at running and wouldn't want to slow anyone down (although I have seen that it is good to run with experienced runners since they will motivate you). I also wouldn't mind finding a crafting group. I have sooo many Pinterest projects that I need to work on and my home management binder isn't going to make itself.

2) Look into part-time employment
Part-time employment will give me a chance to get out of the house (as well as give Liam a chance to play with other kids at daycare) and have some adult interaction and conversations. I have been looking for something that will fit our schedule and my strengths for a little while now. I want to enjoy what I do so I am being picky. Even if I don't find anything soon, I still have my National Guard base  (I'll actually be there for most of the month of August).

3) Look into the nursing field
During my time at Kansas State University, I majored in Public Relations and Women's Studies, however, I'm not sure if those fields are right for my life now. After having Liam, I have started to consider getting into the medical field. I would love to work as a RN in a maternity ward or even as a Lactation Consultant. Although there are many medical related options, the area I live in is very limited when it comes to programs and schools.

4) Visit local churches
Church has always been a weird area for me. I grew up in a very strict Pentecostal church that was extremely restrictive. Since then, I have strayed from churches. I would like for this to change. I would definitely want Liam to grow up with a great church community that is accepting and loving.

I think these goals are going to be very helpful in creating a happy and healthy home life for our family.

What about you guys? Do you have a hobby that doesn't include your family? Do you have any goals that will make your home life happier/easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment