Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Know What I Want To Be When I Grow Up...

Over the last few weeks, I've done a lot of soul searching. Reflecting.
Trying to figure out who I am when I'm not Will's wife and Liam's mommy.

There are things that I want to have figured out before Liam is in school and before we decide to have another child (although my baby fever has been out of control lately). I have always had the desire to work with women (I even majored in Women's Studies while in college) but I wasn't exactly sure how to go about finding a career that would work for our lives. As I started looking into portable careers, working in the medical field started to seem more and more appealing to me. I began to get excited at the thought of working as a nurse in a maternity ward (or birthing center) until I thought about the downside of a job like that. Then it clicked with me.

I want to be a Lactation Consultant! Breastfeeding has become a huge part of my life and it is something that I feel very passionate about. Since making this life altering discovery, I have been researching the pathways I can take to make this a reality. One of the things I will need to do in order to becoming a certified l.c. is log hours assisting nursing moms. I was wondering how I would be able to achieve this until I ran across an ad for a Breastfeeding Peer Consultant at our local health department. I decided to apply and guess what?! I got the job!! I am beyond excited for this opportunity and to be able to do something I enjoy. Everything seems to be falling into place and I feel great! Oh, and Liam and Will are great as well.

2 comments:

  1. Jaye!! I too have seriously considered becoming a lactation consultant someday! I can't wait to hear about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously haven't been this excited about work in a really long time. I was blessed to get this opportunity and I will definitely be sharing along the way. I'll probably have some questions for you about exclusively pumping as well.

      Delete