Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Starting Solids...Where to Begin?!?!

According to Kellymom:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:


  • Baby can sit up well without support.
  • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
  • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
  • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
  • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth
Well, Liam is definitely doing these things and has been for a little while. He will be six months old next week and I plan to start solids soon (I have given him applesauce, banana, avocado and mango, just to see if he liked them), I just don't know how to start. I looked at a few feeding schedules that other breastfeeding moms have used and think that I'm going to start by offering him food (although I haven't decided which one to start with but I have decided not to do infant cereal) after one of his feedings (I'm thinking after his evening feeding but I'm not sure yet).


Any ideas? What was your first choice in baby food? Did you buy or make your baby food?

No comments:

Post a Comment